Joomla! needs Cool URLs – permalinks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Martin W
    Participant

Edit: seems Cool URLs are on the way, with J 1.5: Joomla! 1.5 Accessibility – Look Ma no Itemid’s 

Post I made to Joomla! forum, 3 October 2006 (by no means the first post I’ve made to Mambo and Joomla forums mentioning Cool URLs),

Whenever human readable, more SEF URLs make it into Joomla!, hope the aim will be for these to also enable Cool URIs, which don’t change:

Quote:
      It is the the duty of a Webmaster to allocate URIs which you will be able to stand by in 2 years, in 20 years, in 200 years. This needs thought, and organization, and commitment.

– I think could also add re duty of coders to enable website builders to retain URIs (URLs), even as site building software is upgraded. (so can perhaps have a few options, allowing most people to generate URLs as they have before changing over. Options as in OpenSEF, say; might be a few others). See also Jakob Nielsen, from 1999:

Quote:
      The URL will continue to be part of the Web user interface for several more years, so a usable site requires: a domain name that is easy to remember and easy to spell short URLs easy-to-type URLs URLs that visualize the site structure URLs that are "hackable" to allow users to move to higher levels of the information architecture by hacking off the end of the URL persistent URLs that don’t change

URL as URI Good to see from recent posts that knowing code and knowing SEO not necessarily mutually exclusive! How much new documentation, should SEF patch make it into 1.0.12? Esp if 1.5 still seems some way off, maybe I could help w this (easiest if can do so partly by editing – if needed – SEF patch info, which as I recall is v clear)

Post edited by: Martin, at: 2007/03/06 05:19

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.