Is Joomla! aimed at helping build great websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Martin W
    Participant

Post I made to Joomla! forum, 7 September 2006: For all I complain about out-of-the-box Joomla! coming with Search Engine Unfriendly URLs, I find my site with Joomla does well in Google – but after some changes. Main change being adopting OpenSEF. Also have the SEF patch  [haven’t seen much difference in results with this – perhaps an increase, but I’m not obsessive stats checker, and it should help] Unlike Mambo when I first started with it, can have individual page titles and descriptions for regular articles. Simpleboard/Joomlaboard upgraded to set page titles from forum posts – a v good change I think; but descriptions still identical , which not so good. Yes, a third-party component issue; but more help could surely be given to developers of such components, so pages created can be readily optomised for SEO – which after all, means making the best web pages possible. So, Mambo and now Joomla gods have shown a little interest in SEO; but with problems cited re URLs being calls to databases , perhaps worth asking a question that’s lately occurred to me: Is Joomla! aimed at helping people create great websites? (I haven’t seen re cms that beats Joomla! for SEO yet can also create pages with a look I like; Drupal seems main contender, but more for techies? So, hoping the Joomla! gods come to understand SEO as much as they do databases ) early March 07: seems great URLs on the way for J 1.5: Joomla! 1.5 Accessibility – Look Ma no Itemid’s

Post edited by: Martin, at: 2007/03/06 05:18

Martin W
      Participant

post I’ve just made to webmasterworld thread, where poster asked above question: Joomla (1.0.xx) has problems with "itemids" left over from Mambo, resulting in duplicate URLs problem. These add to URLs; can get fresh itemid for every link you create to an item (page) – so can get www dot domain.blahblah.1, www dot domain.blahblah2 etc etc – all for same page. Also, can’t create individual meta tags for pages (tho some improvement here). There are some 3rd party fixes: I use OpenSEF for URLs (tho doesn’t work for all third party components, like my photo galleries); SEO Patch helps with meta tags and some other issues. Sadly, Joomla core team seem to be code gurus rather than website creators; when it comes to SEO issues, prone to downplaying their importance, and even explaining why various SEO features aren’t in basic Joomla. (I’ve just responded to one such post on J forum; found this thread after searching webworld, lest there might be nifty alternative: I looked at drupal some time ago, couldn’t get my head round the "nodes" etc and didn’t see site designs I liked.) But, with help such as OpenSEF, I think Joomla is very helpful for creating sites. The security issues seem ok for now, partly as Joomla now running with globals.php off, whatever that means (! – apparently should make it a good bit safer) Plenty of third party add-ons, tho development of these uneven, and at times become abandonware.

I don’t believe this was true even in 2006 that Joomla was not serious about SEO. The SEF functionality in Joomla 1.5 now in 2008 is very good.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.