• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

On the 18th September 2005 an Adult Franklin’s Gull was located on the sand flats at beidaihe. The bird was observed by Jesper Hornskov and members of a bird tour he was leading at the time.

The bird was an adult moulting into winter plumage and possibly/probably the same bird observed by Paul Holt at Tanguu on the same date in 2004!!

I obtained record-shot photographs of the bird in very poor light with a Canon 1D2 DSLR 500mm f4 IS lens and a 2x..

The bird and other shots from the day can be seen here:

http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/gallery/another_day_in_beidaihe

The bird was not present at dawn today (19th September) although 4 Ruddy Shelduck, 17 Avocet and 2 Caspian terns provided some distractions..

Alister
      Beidaihe.

Anonymous

Negative news from Beidaihe today re the Franklin’s Gull. Not seen two hours after dawn and three hours this afternoon.

However, new migrants in today included:

c35 Falcated Duck south
        c250 Grey-headed Lapwing west
        2 Caspian Terns
        17 Avocet
        4 Ruddy Shelduck

cheers,

Alister

Anonymous

At 4pm today, I relocated the Adult Franklin’s Gull on the sand flats at Beidaihe. It was roosting at the mouth of the river, but was flushed by fishermen. The bird headed north and was seen to land again about 1km up the coast.

More photographs were obtained, in marginally better light. I will post a flight shot on my website today and add the link here for those interested in taking a look.

Other birds today, or in the last 36 hours.

3 White’s Thrushes
          250+ Grey-headed Lapwings
          Dollarbird
          Relict Gull.

All the best,

Alister

Anonymous

A flight shot of the Franklin’s this afternoon:

http://www.pbase.com/image/49674647

cheers all,

Alister

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.