Reply To: Global warming lies and climate change hysteria

Martin W
Participant

Here’s response I posted to an article by Martin Durkin in the Australian, Up against the warming zealots. Response not posted; dunno why.

Quote:
    Curious article; seems to slant things as if smug middle classes are behind notions re global warming.
    Yet, as Martin Durkin well knows, comes from scientists:

“A joint statement issued by the Australian Academy of Sciences, Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and the Arts, Brazilian Academy of Sciences, Royal Society of Canada, Caribbean Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, French Academy of Sciences, German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina, Indian National Science Academy, Indonesian Academy of Sciences, Royal Irish Academy, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (Italy), Academy of Sciences Malaysia, Academy Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and Royal Society (UK) said:

The work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) represents the consensus of the international scientific community on climate change science. We recognise IPCC as the world’s most reliable source of information on climate change and its causes, and we endorse its method of achieving this consensus. Despite increasing consensus on the science underpinning predictions of global climate change, doubts have been expressed recently about the need to mitigate the risks posed by global climate change. We do not consider such doubts justified.

Many other science academies and scientific organizations support the conclusions of the IPCC.”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy

“Hockey stick” not really discredited.
    Medieval warming disputed: maybe just localised, rather than global.

“backward-looking bigotry”?? – good grief; global warming is about the present and the future.
    If any bigots around, Durkin is clearly among them.

Might wonder what the Durkins of the day might have said on places like Easter Island, where islanders chopped down the last of the trees, in part to move around immense statues – and in doing so, taking their society huge leaps backwards, so the first Europeans to arrive there found a sad bunch of people, scratching a living from a rough, grassy landscape.

“God bless Australia. The DVD will be out soon.” – I hope readers don’t fall for Durkin’s attempts at smooth talking salesmanship (Ooh, those of you who liked my documentary are so wonderful and sane … and while you’re at it, maybe give me some money.)

Plenty more re his dodgy documentary on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle
    – includes, if you scroll down, rebuttals from scientists, including this in press release from the Royal Society:

Quote:
    Those who promote fringe scientific views but ignore the weight of evidence are playing a dangerous game. They run the risk of diverting attention from what we can do to ensure the world’s population has the best possible future.